It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Trying to Ween Back
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:09 am 

Hi All, Like Terry I too am trying to come back after a very long time away. Extremely long time!

My systems are not the best, so I am hoping I can cut it. I need to re-learn what all the latest utilities are that people are using to function in this great hobby of ours.

What is the over-all preferred Flight Sim version these days, still 2004 or X.

Glad to still see some familiar CVA Pilots, and of course always some new ones.

Cheers!

Tommy Sir Mad Dawg

Post subject: Re: Trying to Ween Back
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:18 am 

Me too MD :)
Though I'm lovin the FSX with CVA downloads and CVAcars! It's great to see the place in such good shape :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:02 am 
Site Admin

Welcome back Y'all

Nice to see you again Tommy and as for you Craig you have allways been here, it nice to see you put in a few hours into the sim.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:21 pm 

It is in good shape around here (thanks CVA exec!).

Now, what's going to happen to flight sim? FSX is 5 years old.

But if you want to see the best FSX has to offer (FS9 too?), go get some Orbx scenery. It is jaw dropping. Read about it on the forums here.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:42 am 

:D Thanks for the welcome backs and what nots. I have gotten things loaded up and dusted off the old yoke. So I have been flying a few light regional flights tonight to get some comfort back. I will do that a bit to get re-familiar with the controls etc. before coming online live again. So far so good though.

I have loaded my FS9 onto my desktop as it only has 1GB memory and FSX onto my laptop with 4 GB. I will play with FSX tomorrow to see how it is, FS9 is thankfully running smooth on the desktop, I actually did not think it would.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:03 am 

hey guys :)
Been flying off and on but there was in incident with my hard drive havent got on for a while lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 am 

Hi Tommy - welcome back!!

Like you, I am returning after a long break from flightsim in general.

My advice: Get yourself into FSX. You'll be surprised how good it actually is without much in the way of add-ons.

It runs fairly adequate on my PC (enough to be enjoyable) and my specs are:

- Intel Core2 Duo 2.6 GHz
- Win 7 x64
- 4 GB RAM
- ATI Radeon 3650 512mb

This is a VERY modest system by current standards and should be fairly affordable.
Get the FSX Deluxe edition which comes with FSX Acceleration - this adds a few toys but importantly patches FSX for multi-core support which makes a HUGE difference in performance.

Add to that a few tweaks and a texture upgrade add-on REX2 and you'll find FSX goes like lightning.

I'm still eager for Microsoft Flight - but FSX is certainly worth attention.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Great to see you get some flights completed Tommy. Send an e-mail to Chuck so he can tag on the hours you had done before.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:24 am 

I do already have the FSX, have had for a long time, just never really got to use it. I have loaded it on my laptop as that has more power and ram than my desktop. I actually just fired it up this evening to quickly try it, does look good. I will have to take a better look at it and tweak some settings. Maybe over the weekend, Wife works Saturday, supposed to rain, so won't be cutting lawns... Sounds like a plan.

I have no idea what my hours were from before, I am not too worried about it. I took a long enough absence that it only makes sense to start fresh.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:08 am 

Maybe it wasn't such a bright idea for management to let me back on active duty.

I may be paying more attention to fuel load but it's costing a bloody fortune in 737s. I was able to make it from Montreal to Quebec (I used Win XP), but a lot of them "somehow" fall out of the sky or splatter onto the runway on the way back. :D

It took me forever to figure how to recalibrate the controllers in Win 7 Pro. Now I can easily clear the fence at the end of the runway on take-offs. LOL

If I keep this up (or down really), They are going to put me back on new route duty full time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

CVA9214 wrote:
Great to see you get some flights completed Tommy. Send an e-mail to Chuck so he can tag on the hours you had done before.

Tommy Philips
AKA CVA113
Previous hours 369

Done!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:29 am 

Man, does it feel good to fly the Level-D 767 Montreal-Toronto and land it manually. I got bored guickly of the default 737 and just had to get back in that plane.
8)

I get that Stackhash error on exit even if I stop FSinn but I don't care. My pirep is sent, FSX can pretty much do whatever it wants after that.

Other than that, FSX is running stable so I'm happy. Now I can start shopping around for those fancy doohickeys you big boys play with.
:mrgreen:

Yeah, I know, 3.0GHz just ain't gonna cut it. But I don't want to get into serious overclocking until I can install the water-cooling. I have all the sliders midway without AA, except for air/land/sea traffic at zero. It's not a beauty but it'll do for now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:17 am 

So how complicated can it be to follow FSX ATC ground directions to the gates at JFK right?

Darn it, I had to pull over and ask directions after getting lost in the maze. :D

Had to pull out the chart to figure my way back. I REALLY need a lot of offline practice before getting back with real ATC. lol

That bit about the FMC screaming at me INSUFFICIENT FUEL whenever I chose my landing runway was kinda annoying too. I had to turn off auto-throttle, set heading straight for the airport and use whatever runway was facing my way.

And that was my first experience into intense crosswind landings. LOL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:20 pm 

I get that insufficient fuel warning too. I haven't figured out why. I just cancel it. It stays off until the next waypoint or FMC activity.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:52 am 

I was on fumes. :D

Figured I'd get some "manual ILS" landing coming into Charlottetown PEI. The night is clear so I can double-check the instruments with visual cues. I have everything lined up nice, glidescope looks good, and the plane just won't slow down?

D'OH! Forgot autothrottle... GA lol

Awe well, got a 2nd go at it.

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next