It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:09 pm

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Freezing in Ottawa
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:29 pm 

Sounds like time for a complete Windows reinstall. Uninstall often leaves loose ends lying around.

I just bought W7 64bit Pro. It's going on a new HD, as soon as I get around to ordering one.

Hoping to report back soon...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:02 pm 

I guess that would be less painful in many ways. I just spent 5 hours last night uninstalling everything, then not being able to reinstall FSX because of the old GameuxInstallhelper DLL problem, for which MS doesn't offer a fix because the fix causes other problems.

So I'm back to where I was yesterday. What day is it today anyway? Monday? :roll:

I'm sure happy my wife thought that WHS was worth buying. 8)

Darryl - I know about the rollback problems. It was still worth it to find that there are no hardware problems (except chkdsk errors that were fixed); and updates to drivers are something I can do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:08 pm 

Devon wrote:
Just out of curiosity, Rob - do you have a copy of UIautomationcore.dll in your FSX folder?
If not - find it (search online) and drop it in...that's all you have to do.

Cal Jordan (CVA371) wrote:
I had problems similar, UIautomationcore.dll will help. Doing a re-format and reinstall is a pain but well worth it. once you get everything running the way you want with all your planes scenery and programs (FSCommander) then make a copy of the disk. I can now re-format, copy the disk image over and be up and running with all my add-on FSX scenerys, FSACARS and all my planes and programs installed in just about an hour. Just have to start FSINN and start flying online. the time it takes is just how long it takes to copy the disk image over to the hard drive. less time than it takes to reinstall windows far less all the FSX stuff also. Never put anything in the PROGRAMS (x86) folder, and even the install programs, right click and "Run as administrator", then after they are installed, find the launch EXE for the programs and set them to "Run as administrator" also. all my problems went away. :lol: as you can see from my signature, I have few scenerys, and those would take over an hour to install by themselves. :shock:

I will keep this in mind. I've read there are some issues with UIautomationcore.dll so I'll just keep it in my back pocket for now.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:06 am 

Quote:
I will keep this in mind. I've read there are some issues with UIautomationcore.dll so I'll just keep it in my back pocket for now.

Thanks!

If you're using Win7, there's more issues without it. I don't know what you've heard - but it's not caused me any problems and I've never had an FS crash since I dropped it in (whereas before it crashed all the time)

It's just GUI module - it doesn't do anything with the guts of FS and has no impact on performance; it's more to do with newer operating systems dealing with the interface layer expectations of an older application.
If it does cause problems for some reason - you need only delete it from your FSX folder again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:02 pm 

Thanks for that, Devon. I'll do that tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:06 pm 

rabbitcancer wrote:
Just out of curiosity, Rob - do you have a copy of UIautomationcore.dll in your FSX folder?
If not - find it (search online) and drop it in...that's all you have to do.

I had this problem just now too after a repair of win7 and reinstall of FSX. Copying it from windows/system32 solved the crashing.

CYUL to CYOW and back without a hitch.

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2