It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Plane crash lands behind high school
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:56 pm 

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/05/pl ... igh-school

Quote:

BURLINGTON — A 23-year-old pilot was forced to make an emergency landing in a field behind a Burlington high school just before noon Thursday, after the plane experienced mechanical problems.

The Cessna 172 plane was also carrying three Grade 9 students from Oakville's White Oaks Secondary School, when it landed in the wooded area behind Corpus Christi Catholic S.S.

No one was injured.

"Police ran to the scene and found two boys and one girl and the 23-year-old pilot, all were in good health," said Halton Police Sgt. Brian Carr. "The pilot saw this huge field behind me and was able to put the plane down safely. A good landing under a stressful situation."

Dozens of students who were out playing soccer in the field, as well as those participating in a "Walk For Jesus" event saw the plane come over their heads.

"It looked like it was right above us," Shannon Danby, 16, said. "There were a lot of kids out. It could've been really bad. I was scared."

Transport Canada continues to investigate the incident.

Just says mechanical problems, me thinks something to do with the Engine or Flaps, Thoughts?

Edit: Flight Aware for Plane: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CFEVS
Reg C-FEVS

Post subject: Re: Plane crash lands behind high school
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:03 pm 

I'd most likely put money on engine problems. Flap issues would make for a less than fun flight, but I don't think it could create a situation where a forced landing in a field would be necessary.

CFB Edmonton, Edmonton, AB

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:24 am 
Site Admin

Glad to hear this story turned out to be a positive one and no one was injured at all - amazing and a sigh of relief for the young kids and their parents!!! Good on the pilot for getting that plane down in the field.

If there is one thing you can't practice enough is those emergency landings. Speaking of which...I need to get some real world flying in the near future - me thinks I may have some work to do as it's been a while! :D

I'm putting my money on fuel starvation for this problem :D

Cheers! :mrgreen:

CVA7769

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:30 pm 

Rumours point towards fuel. That, and a quote in a newspaper article saying the pilot said "I ran out of fuel" and TC said "There was no fuel in the tanks". Good job when it went quiet.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:46 pm 

Ya all got it wrong,........ gavity is the culprit :P

Image....Image

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:46 pm 

Ya all got it wrong,........ gavity is the culprit :P

Image....Image

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:09 pm 

Curse that gavity!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:01 am 

Hopefully a lesson learned: CHECK the GAS you @SS!, or gavity will get you! :mrgreen:
What's "gavity"? :?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:39 am 
Site Admin

Sigh....One of the simplest things to do is to check the fuel before you head up on a flight and calculate based on your typical max burn for safety. Too many times I've seen this happen with small planes. We need to teach our pilots better in this regard! Either way - glad that everyone turned out to be safe at the end of the day and kudos to the pilot for making the best of a bad situation and having it get worse.

That being said - I called it early and was right! I hope I never put myself in that situation!!! :D

CVA7769

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:37 am 

CVA7769 wrote:
Sigh....One of the simplest things to do is to check the fuel before you head up on a flight and calculate based on your typical max burn for safety. Too many times I've seen this happen with small planes. We need to teach our pilots better in this regard! Either way - glad that everyone turned out to be safe at the end of the day and kudos to the pilot for making the best of a bad situation and having it get worse.

That being said - I called it early and was right! I hope I never put myself in that situation!!! :D

Well, unless the pre-flight for a C172 has changed, checking the tanks is one of those checklist items (and gassing up if you don't have enough to go anywhere). A young pilot, he might have just been too confident and thought "yeah, I'll be back before I run out".

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:02 am 
Site Admin

cva0182 wrote:
CVA7769 wrote:

Well, unless the pre-flight for a C172 has changed, checking the tanks is one of those checklist items (and gassing up if you don't have enough to go anywhere). A young pilot, he might have just been too confident and thought "yeah, I'll be back before I run out".

Either that or just thought he had enough, ran into stronger winds and a higher fuel consumption or lost track of time. Hard lesson to learn and I'm sure I'll read about it in the COPA magazine when it comes out and get the rest of the details then.

CVA7769

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]