It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:22 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:50 pm 

ANY COMMENTS on this ???

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/feature/fsx1.htm

My question is : Will it be SQUAWK BOX compatible ??? NOT !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:39 pm 

So does that "Shipping on DVD" mean I won't be able to install it cuz I don't have a dvd drive in my computer???? ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:04 pm 

I'll convert the DVD to a 6" floppy if you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:28 pm 

katron wrote:
ANY COMMENTS on this ???

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/feature/fsx1.htm

My question is : Will it be SQUAWK BOX compatible ??? NOT !!

Yes - it will.

To my knowledge, the FS team has been in contact with Joel DeYoung and there is high hopes that Squawkbox will actually perform better on FSX than previous versions due to a drastically improved version of DirectPlay (component of DirectX)

FSX will also ship with an SDK from the getgo meaning that the opportunities for increased functionality with VATSIM will be closer than ever - especially for ATC.

Heck - I'll buy FSX and run it with the prettystuff off just to sit in the same cockpit with one of you mugs...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:20 pm 

Ohhh I can't wait. Now it's gonna be fun training...instructor will be with me...:D

Tom Cody
CVA2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:25 pm 

CVA1122 Ben wrote:
I'll convert the DVD to a 6" floppy if you want.

Bah!

5 1/4" or nothin'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:51 am 

YUP, you'll learn ATC sooner or later TOMM'y BOY...

THANK's DEVON, You'r inside?? inspiring words, GIVE ME HOPE !!! :)

I am not one with a lot of faith in microsoft.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:56 am 

No James - I wish I was inside, but no...although there are insiders among us believe it or not...

In actual fact - I have had a number of private conversations with headline insiders and have followed the events surrounding the buildup with FSX closely from an industry standpoint. My company is also a Microsoft partner so I do get some news feeds through there as well.

There is reason to have faith in two things:
1. That FSX will be a quantum leap in terms of functionality and environment
2. That FSX will take all but the most ghastly of powermonger PC's to it's knees (but...)

With respect to #1 - Microsoft is releasing a brand new version of DirectX with Vista which contains a number of enhancements including direct support for SLI, Multi-thread processing and a greatly improved version of DirectPlay which is the cause of most woes when it comes to multiplayer issues. The FSX team has undergone an unprecedented user survey to gather information about what's important - and has opened the forum with the online community to take concerns from third-party developers and ATC organizations like VATSIM into consideration.

Although I am certain that we will all have something to gripe about when FSX appears - I do firmly believe that on this occassion, Microsoft (Aces) has done its homework above and beyond the call of duty - and whereas none of us really had a clue what was happening with FS2004, suddenly we find ourselves surrounded by thousands of insiders for FSX who DO have a clue...

Regardless of product and company - that is a very good sign with respect to software development.
I believe we are going to be amazed and bedazzled this time around.

With respect to #2 - well, we must be honest with ourselves, musn't we? All of this candy comes at a price and FSX will be no different. To run a full-whack, all-options-to-the-hilt, session of FSX is (I believe) not possible with current PC technology. Even the geek down the road with the dual Nvidia 7900GT setup with RAID drives, a dual-core processor and ridiculously fast DDR3 RAM will still find himself turning down an option or two to stay in the sweet spot. (the birds will be the first to go)

However - they do seem to elude to the fact that the configuration screen will be the most flexible yet and so while I would be forced to live without the shiny rivets and dastardly seagulls buzzing around - I will certainly enjoy more intelligent Autogen placement, an insanely improved Mesh and Landclass coverage (Microsoft is using global satellite data this time) and great new features like the ATC mode and the cockpit sharing...You can do all of that without pushing your PC into meltdown - and I can't wait to try it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:08 pm 

I'll let you know how it runs after I pick up my free copy in Washington in September at the AVSIM conference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Washington DC in September - can anyone say sticky?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:03 pm 

Hmm.. um.. I'm not sure how much I can say. I haven't read the nda yet. Come see me in YVR on friday and I might be willing to talk a little ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:47 pm 
Is there a realistic pushback? Like with one of those machines with the guy on it. That would impress me a whole lot more than shift P. Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:27 pm 

If you want the "puchback" option it will cost another $20.00. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:44 pm 

Again, not sure what I am allowed to say here... so... if you were to fire it up, you might see something like this:
There are a lot more controls for traffic densities, at the moment, if you crank up your airport ground traffic densities a little mule does come out and push you back (still shift-p), though he sort of scoots around like he is on rails. Again, this is preliminary and not sure what will make final.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]