It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

Page 1 of 9 [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi All,

The management team have been discussing the issue concerning pilots flying different class of aircraft on routes not set up for that class of aircraft (i.e. - Class 3 aircraft flying on Class 1 flight route, or vice versa).

We understand that many pilots have payware aircraft and prefer to fly shorter flights because they enjoy this type of aircraft or feel more comfortable with these aircraft but don't have the time to fly longer haul routes.

After a lengthy discussion over email we will be making the following changes:

1) All CVA aircraft will be reviewed and possibly some aircraft reclassified to give pilots a little more choice.

2) All CVA routes will be reviewed and some routes will be either reclassified, or combined (i.e. - Class 2 / 3 routes may be combined so that you can fly either a Class 2 or 3 aircraft on that route).

3) Cargo routes will be reviewed over time offering some short haul heavy flights based on some real world operations today.

We want to keep our pilots happy and be flexible but we still do need some structure here folks and I think everyone will realize that. We also want everyone to play by the same rules :D

As this will take some time to get implemented we would ask that all pilots for the short term only fly aircraft they are rated for on the correct Class of route that is in the schedule. (i.e. - Currently the 767 is a Class 4 aircraft - don't fly it in a Class 1 or 2 route). If you do this, management has the option to review and possibly reject these flights (we will likely give you a warning for the first one but after that.....we'll string ya up from the landing gear :D)

We may be looking at one or 2 other options as well to add to the list above however we hope that this will offer our members the best of both worlds at this time.

If there are some specific flights based on some real world operations that you would like to see added (i.e. - 767 flight between Ottawa and Montreal) then let us know and we'll review and see what we can do to accommodate this request.

We will make another announcement when the bulk of the changes are complete. As this is a "volunteer" effort I would also ask that you have some patience :D

Cheers! :thumbsup:

CVA7769

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:37 am 

Darryl, I don't know how you guys are handling the file manipulations but I thought I'd share with management something I'm doing for personal use. I extracted the flight schedule and massaged the data to remove inconsistencies. I now have a file that is practically finished to use, layout looks like this:

Flight\6807
ICAO\(VHHH - CYVR)
Departure\8:00
Arrival\23:55
Equipment\B747-400 (C-GCBL)
Distance\12870.6mi
Days Flown\Su M T W Th F S
Route\OCEAN1.V2 ELATO A1 APU R583 BISIS G581 MJE A590 PIPPA
Route\G469 SPY R591 CHUUK R341 ODK B327 TRK18 YZP J523 YZT.KEINN4
Notes\Class 5 Flight

I still have some work to do to merge multiple Route records and add a default Route\Direct to flights with no route. My plan is to load this into an Excel spreadsheet or Access database to find flights for a given class and other criterias.

If this process can be of help to CVA, please let me know. I've documented each step required so that anyone can repeat this process.

I know you have a schedule system built-in to the site, but you may wish to use something else to suit CVA's needs. As noticed already, the current system does not offer much flexibility. Maybe an alternative system might be desirable, leaving members use the one they prefer.

HyperX Cloud II headset,
SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250GB and 500GB,
EVGA Supernova G2 850W, CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:59 pm 

I'm finished, I have 2 file formats.

Labelled format:

Flight\6805
FromICAO\ZBAA
ToICAO\RJAA
Departure\17:45
Arrival\21:00
Aircraft\MD-11
Tailnumber\C-FCAL
Distance\1329.43mi
DaysFlown\Su M T W Th F S
Route\VYK A326 DONVO G597 SEL G585 JEC G597 VENUS.VENUS
Notes\Class 5 Flight

Tabular format:

6805\5\ZBAA\RJAA\17:45\21:00\MD-11\C-FCAL\1329.43mi\Su M T W Th F S\VYK A326 DONVO G597 SEL G585 JEC G597 VENUS.VENUS\Class 5 Flight

I did some cleaning up, but there's always a few manual interventions required on the extracted file, no big deal.

But the nice thing is that I have a new field called Class in the tabular format. That can be used to search for all flights for any aircraft in a given class, no more need to figure out which planes are in which class and then search through several airplanes.

6805\5\...\Class 5 Flight

HyperX Cloud II headset,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:20 am 

I noticed that FSPassengers doesn't get the plane right. Is there anything that can be done about it? ( I have done flights in the MD11 and after I file the report through FSPassengers it says no aircraft entered. It must be looking fo a field that isn't there or something.....

Image....Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Robert, that sounds like some good work you have accomplished. This is along the lines that we are currently pursuing with the website. However, an excel sheet or access database doesn't lend itself to well to websites. As far as the current system not offering much flexibility, it is the exact opposite. It is fully open source and can be modified to suit the end user's needs.

The current issue is the end user....and their ability to learn new coding techniques. :p I have a dev server running on an old laptop sitting beside me so that when I "break" things, it has no effect on the site you folks are using. I think I have encountered pretty much every conceivable error code the MySQL can come up with. :)

Have patience folks and bear with us, even though it may look like little is going on, there is progress.

Kinda like the duck swimming...calm on the surface but paddling like heck underneath!! :D

Hey Cal...I'd like to help you troubleshoot it, but I don't have FSPassengers. As long as you don't do fifty flights a day, we can correct them on our side for now. If I hear of anything, I will let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:06 pm 

Hey Chuck, I wouldn't mind helping you guys out if you needed some extra hands. I could make routes for any new flights management wants to introduce, and I'd have a blast testing them out :p

-Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:14 pm 

cva3906 wrote:
Hi Robert, that sounds like some good work you have accomplished. This is along the lines that we are currently pursuing with the website. However, an excel sheet or access database doesn't lend itself to well to websites. As far as the current system not offering much flexibility, it is the exact opposite. It is fully open source and can be modified to suit the end user's needs.

The current issue is the end user....and their ability to learn new coding techniques. :p I have a dev server running on an old laptop sitting beside me so that when I "break" things, it has no effect on the site you folks are using. I think I have encountered pretty much every conceivable error code the MySQL can come up with. :)

Have patience folks and bear with us, even though it may look like little is going on, there is progress.

Kinda like the duck swimming...calm on the surface but paddling like heck underneath!! :D

Hey Cal...I'd like to help you troubleshoot it, but I don't have FSPassengers. As long as you don't do fifty flights a day, we can correct them on our side for now. If I hear of anything, I will let you know.

This project was never meant to replace the current system. It was just to let you know I could help you if you needed to clean up some files (and a test to see if I could still do it after a 7 year hiatus). It was also a suggestion in case more advanced users wished to dabble on the schedule on their own PC.

And yes, I can relate with the paddling. I had never done extensive batch programs before. I had used it to copy files and make backups, stuff that never exceeded 5 lines (and half were comments :D ).

I had to ask help on a coding forum for this one. I think my little experiment required just under 40 hours of work. Still, it was fun, I needed to get a few neurons working again.

In the end, we still have to log on CVA and bid on the flight there.

:)

HyperX Cloud II headset,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:52 am 

If anyone wants a file containing all CVA flights to upload into Excel, contact me and I'll send it over. This data is currently available to all CVA members, I just massaged it to make it more helpful.

Class, Flight, Departure, Destination, Return flight, Distance, Route

Flights without return flights are easily identified. Duplicate flights have been removed. Flights without routes now have DIRECT.

This makes it easier to sort in whatever order you wish once you import into Excel. I didn't post the file for direct download so it cannot be accessed by non-members.

Make sure to mention your name and CVA ID or else your PM/email will remain in limbo.

HyperX Cloud II headset,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:37 am 

Hey Robert. I'd love the route schedule in Excel format. rocketrandy1@hotmail.com

Image Image

What is that goat doing way up here in the clouds?
www.virtual-skies.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:38 am 

Hey Robert. I'd love the route schedule in Excel format. rocketrandy1@hotmail.com

Image Image

What is that goat doing way up here in the clouds?
www.virtual-skies.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:46 am 

Can someone identify the classes for these aircraft please?

B190 1
ERJ1 2
B737 3
B763 4
744F ?
B742 ?
B744 ?

B772 5
A319 3
A320 3
A343 5
A346 ?
B350 1
742F ?
DC4C 1
DHC6 1
DH84 1
DH83 1
DH82 1
MD11 ?
MD1F ?

LR45 2
F100 2
CRJ2 2
DHC5 1
DHC7 1

This is to clean up the schedule, so I don't want to rely on obsolete information in the existing schedule and Pilot Handbook.

HyperX Cloud II headset,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:00 am 
Site Admin

I believe the extracted data I sent you has that information in the notes field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:16 pm 

If you would go to fleet download section of CVA, you will see very clear identification of class for each plane. It is very informative.

Now my question is which class does 757-200F freighter belong to, please as I have that plane with old CVA livery using cool maple leaf.

I pray it is class three aircraft:):):)

Aharon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

It is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:04 am 

I missed this conversation when I was out of town for two weeks this month. Glad to see the efforts of the admin and others to get this sorted out and balance the fun and the rules. Now I've got to go see how things have changed.

Page 1 of 9 [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next